Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Balance Of Everything

Okay, I know the title sounds a little wacky, but I think sometimes we need to start paying attention to the balance in our life. Why? Because so often as humans and Christians, we get to thinking one way and start leaning more and more towards that view. For example, some people think work is necessary (as it is) but they start to focus only on work and neglect any sort of leisure, aka. doing something for the pleasure of doing that thing (more on that in a later post) as I believe you will agree, this is unbalanced. On the other hand it is also unbalanced to only do things you like all the time and not to bother working or learning. We also have the ultimate environmentalists who will do anything to save a plant or animal and on the other hand we have people who are just like "I don't care about what happens" I should know, I was one, and then I thought to myself, "this is stupid, what am I doing?" just because some people went to an extreme to save anything, after seeing some of the stuff they were willing to do, I went to the other extreme and just wouldn't be bothered about it. The Bible does tell us to be stewards, does that mean to kill people in order to save animals? No! But that is what some environmentalists want to do. As Christians we can also greatly unbalance things, such as the issue of Mary in the Bible, on one hand we have the Catholics who seem to put Mary on the same level as Jesus, which I believe is a great mistake, but on the other hand pretty much the rest of the Church seems to ignore Mary because of the attention the Catholic Church gives her. Mary is a very important person in the Bible, I don't think it's right that we ignore her while studying the lives of other men and women in the Bible, the balanced approach seems to try to look at Mary with the same perspective as we do with the other people in the Bible. That means not just reading about her around Christmas and then getting on to the "more important" stuff, but we also shouldn't be worshiping her every Sunday. Find what's in the Bible, see what's there, don't skip anything. One thing I've noticed about humans in that we like to argue, sometimes we may even take a point we never intended to just because we're debating or merely don't like the way some people argue their point (as in my environmentalist example) we just don't want to be associated with them. The point is: look at your life, is there something out of balance? I'm pretty sure you'll find something. Are you willing to fix it?

1 comment:

Storm Marie White said...

Catholics don't WORSHIP Mary, they simply ask her for her blessing on their lives. I personally don't like even that, but Catholics (the ones I know) aren't as far wrong as you say they are.